Wednesday 2 December 2009

Passion for people

As you know we are believing God to see the church grow over the next year. We want to break through 400 and strike out towards 500. Can you believe God for 1 person your small groups knows to be saved and added this year? Two people?

Sometimes talking about numbers can seem a bit impersonal. I watched again recently the ending of Schindler’s list. He is surrounded by the hundreds of Jewish people he saved from the gas chambers. He bought each one from the Nazis to ‘work’ in his factory. He starts to break down thinking of the others he might have saved:

This car. Goeth would've bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people, right there, ten more I could've got.

Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would've given me two for it. At least one. He would've given me one. One more. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. One more. I could've gotten one more person I didn't.

Although we worship a Sovereign God and don’t need to be crushed under a weight of guilt I want to capture something of Schindler’s heart to save people. What has God given me that I can use in the service of the gospel - my time, my energy, my all. Numbers are not impersonal when you have a passion for people. Please God give us more living stones, more precious people bought with your blood. Build your church Lord Jesus! May we grow in number this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment