Sunday 11 July 2010

Brighton leadership conference


Had a great time at the Brighton Leadership Conference last week. I really enjoyed the combination of great teaching, a sunny beach and an air conditioned hotel. Made loads of notes on my phone. It's taking me ages to clean them up though so I'll just post one for now. You can get much better ones from http://adrianwarnock.com/.  It was a real shock to hear that PJ has cancer but so inspiring to hear his roar of faith in the face. He couldn't be there but Terry read out some of his texts. Just read this blog which captures it so well. http://blog.philmoorebooks.com/day/2010/07/09.

Virgo's preaching on Ephesians 6 was so powerful. I must admit that when he said he was preaching on that I thought back to a time when the preacher had got some children up and made balloon swords and helmets etc for them to wear. I'd heard preaches on this and wondered if it would hold my attention. It did, plus it powerfully affected my heart. At least it seemed like it did. The proof, as they say, will be in the prayer pudding. Anyway, here are my notes:  

Terry :  Prayer.
Ephesians 6
  • Moses raised his hands and the rod of God while Joshua began to fight. There was a direct relationship between prayer on the mountain and victory in the valley.
  • Samuel said I won't sin by seacsing (I can't work out how to spell that world, is means stopping!) to pray for you.
  • "Elijah the chariots of Israel". His praying was the chariots of Israel.
  • Men ought always to pray and not give up.
  • It's an umbrella? word.
  • Constant and diverse prayer. On all occasions with all kinds of prayer.
  • Our regular praying on our own.
  • Prayer is the privilege of sons, the proof of sonship.
  • Murry McShain, "what a man is on his knees, that he is and nothing more"
  • "Much prayer is not done because we don't plan to pray." D A Carson.
  • Give your best to prayer.
  • Nehemiah prays : "help!" he said "I said to God and then I said to the king."
  • All night prayer.
  • I'm going to go for this. Go after God for this. Fasting is coming to God with great intention.
  • Pray without ceasing.
  • "If we find a way of praying that's not really praying we will not actually pray." (or something like that!) Michael Eaton.
  • Don't just walk and yak (chat). Wrestle
  • Praying as a church. Acts 4 24.
  • Shall we be a force to be reckoned with?
  • With two or three.
  • Get into another persons prayer.
  • Prayer with husband and wife teams.
  • We pray not to be accepted but to accomplish something.
  • Empowered prayers.
  • None of us know how to pray but the spirit helps us.
  • The puritans said "Prayer yourself in to prayer."
  • Paul says we pray with all the energy that God works in us.
  • Arthur Wallis said if the baptism of the spirit has not changed our prayer life then it's not baptism in the holy Spirit.
  • The blood gives me right of access. The spirit bekons me in. Gives me experience of welcome.
  • If it is your will can be a lazy cop out. It can be relevant but also a cop out for fervent prayer.
  • Praying with the spirit equals tongues. 
  • (Look into what Gordon Fee says about praying in tongues).
  • Focused prayer.
  • Partnership. Koinonia. Peter and his brother owned the fishing business together.

I may put some more notes up at some stage if I can make sense of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment