Monday 7 June 2010

The sovereignty of God at Disney land

Bonjour! Just got back from Disney Land Paris. Had a great time and experienced the wonderful sovereignty of God again. We were queuing up for one of our first rides which was called something like "mountain train". Can't remember exactly. After 30 mins it finally got to our turn to get into the carriages, when all the lights suddenly went out and we were plunged into semi-darkness. A reassuring message about a "technical fault" which would be "fixed as soon as possible" was played in a few languages but as the minutes ticked by it became apparent that this ride was finished for the day. I was very frustrated. We had queued for ages, the children had been really good waiting but what a shame to be turned away just as we were about to board.

The next day my eldest really wanted to try it again so we queued up for another 40 mins but this time got to have a go. Well, it turned out to be a screamingly fast roller coaster ride down through a pitch black underground tunnel and up and around a mini mountain in the middle of a lake. As we staggered out of our carriage at the end of the ride it hit me what a lucky escape we had had the day before. There I was leading my youngest daughter by the hand step by step towards a thundering ride of terror that may well have put her off Disney Land and Mickey Mouse for life, when God sovereignly shut down the electrics of the ride. Suddenly I saw yesterdays frustrating nuisance as God's saving grace.    

What with all the excitement, there was not as much time for reading as I had expected (what was I thinking!) but I did start "The dancing hand of God" by James Maloney. My aim is no longer to read it before the end of my sabbatical in two weeks but merely to break into its 400+ pages and get some momentum. Same goes for "God's lesser glory". 

No comments:

Post a Comment